I had always been interested in secret travel tips, but it wasn’t until I started at HYHotels that I realised just how much could go wrong when you’re traveling without a plan. I have compiled a list of 18 essential tips that will not only ensure that your holiday goes smoothly, but will also make it a much more enjoyable experience – not to mention saving you some extra spending money.
Secret Travel Tips
1. Eat where the locals do, not where looks good.
You will often find that some places are geared towards attracting tourists. These are the places that the locals tend to avoid due to more experience with the local cuisine.
2. Ask hotel staff what the charge should be for taking a local taxi to/from your destination.
This stops taxi-drivers trying to overcharge you as a tourist.
3. The hotel staff are your best friends.
If you’re looking for something interesting to do off the beaten path, ask them. Need directions? Ask them. Best food in town, they know.
4. Place orders with supermarkets in the local area.
This way you can pick up your order when you arrive and don’t have to worry about packing certain items.
5. Unpack as soon as you get to your hotel.
This will get you acquainted with your hotel room, which will make it feel more like home. It will also clear the clutter that always inevitably covers the hotel room and clears your mind of unwanted stress.
6. Stick to a routine.
This helps alleviate stress and makes you feel more organised. You know you’re body and mind best so do what works for you.
7. Read up in advance what the local customs are, and do those.
Embrace the difference and participate for the full experience.
8. Make a habit of exploring a part of the city/town on foot.
Go a different direction each day and you will soon be surprised with how much the area has to offer.
9. Learn the vocabulary.
Depending on where abouts in the country (or world) you’re visiting from, there can be some distinct vocabulary differences that mean one thing in one place and another somewhere else. It is advised that you do a bit of research on the area and find out if they use their own dialect for certain things. You may even learn some new secret travel tips from the locals.
10. External battery pack to charge your phone while you are out and about.
I can’t tell you how many times I have seen people run out of battery whilst exploring the area. Being lost in an unknown area with no phone can be a disaster so always come prepared to avoid this.
11. If you wear prescription glasses or contacts, bring an extra pair as a back-up in case you lose or break the ones you’re wearing.
You may not have access to a replacement pair of glasses whilst you are on holiday so stay prepared and bring a back-up.
12. If you’re planning on buying clothes or souvenirs, leave space and bring an extra bag to ensure that you don’t run out of space when you’re re-packing to go home.
Nesting a smaller empty bag inside your main luggage can be a great idea so that you can fill the bag with new purchases and carry it separately.
13. If you have gadgets, charge them overnight before leaving.
Download google maps and offline maps as your phone will be your best friend when it comes to directions and finding more secret travel tips.
14. Visit events in the local area in that you are interested in.
This is an easy way to bond with people over shared interests or hobbies and can even lead to life-long friendships.
15. Plan for the worst-case scenario.
It’s unlikely that anything will go wrong in your travels but it never hurts to expect the worst. Assume you will lose your bag with everything in it and plan for it. This will ensure that you are not caught off-guard if anything was to happen. Make a copy of your documents, scan them and email them to yourself. Include a contact list in case you lose your phone and need to call someone.
16. If you’re traveling abroad, make sure you disable data roaming on your phone as this can lead to unwanted expenses.
We have all heard the horror stories of getting billed hundreds of pounds because they forgot (or didn’t know) to turn data roaming off so make sure to double check that it is off before you travel abroad.
17. Call your bank and tell them that you are going on holiday and for them to expect payments from abroad.
Some banks will refuse the processing if you do not inform them and you may be stuck without being able to pay for anything for the duration of your trip.
18. Take pictures, create memories.
Can you remember everything you did on every trip you have ever been on? Me neither. Make sure to capture the beautiful moments that you have on your trip so you can look back on them at a later date.
Do you have any questions or more secret travel tips?
The purpose of this article is to assist you in being prepared whilst travelling through the use of secret travel tips that a lot of people are unaware of. If you have any questions you can either reach out to us on Social Media or Email me directly.